Tuesday, November 29, 2011

whole wheat blondies are GOOD for you

At least that's what i tell myself!
Well, hope everyone out there is doing well. I realize i've kinda fallen out of touch with my blog this month...i've been tired and overwhelmed...you know, the feelings that are most common with moms of young kids. But anyway, i thought i'd share my stand-by dessert recipe with you. I made these on Sunday when some good friends came over and since they are so quick and easy i thought you should make some too! I've added to and changed several things about the original recipe that i now claim it as my own. :)

Whole Wheat Blondies

2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup butter
1 tsp instant coffee granules
2 eggs
2 tsps vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/4- 1/2 semi sweet chocolate OR 1 square unsweetened chocolate chopped up

1. Grease a 13x9 baking pan. In a medium sauce pan melt the butter, brown sugar and coffee on med. heat. stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and melted. Take off heat and let cool slightly before adding eggs. Add eggs one at a tine, stir in vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in half of the white and dark chocolate pieces and stir gently. They will melt and swirl
2. Spread into baking pan and then sprinkle with remaining chocolate pieces. 
3. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven. I always check it around 18 to make sure it doesn't get too cooked. You want to take it out when the center is just set. Cool and cut into squares. 
If you don't over bake these, they have the perfect texture to be cut into shapes if desired. Stars or holly cut-outs maybe?

So, enjoy! I have big ideas to make and post, but for now they are just ideas in my head, so we'll see if they come to anything. Oh, and thank you for all your very nice words about my craft show. You all are so nice. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look so yummy! I'm missing a couple ingredients or I'd be making them right now. I struggle with being overwhelmed with motherhood too--although I love being a mom and wouldn't change it for the world, I feel I'm completely over my head most of the time. Guess I don't have any answers, just saying that there are other moms out there feeling the same way you do!

Jennifer and Jaimee said...

they look and sound wonderful, Meagan!
We love you and wish we could come up for another visit!!!